Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Book Challenge update: The Next Always, Night Over Water and Salem Falls

The Next Always by Nora Roberts (57/100)
"The historic hotel in Boonsboro has endured war and peace, changing hands, even rumored hauntings. Now it's  getting a major face-lift from the Montgomery brothers and their eccentric mother. Beckett is the architect of the family, and his social life consists mostly of talking shop over pizza and beer. But there's another project he's got his eye on: the girl he's been waiting to kiss since he was fifteen.
After losing her husband and returning to her hometown, Clare Brewster soon settles into her life as the mother of three young sons while running the town's bookstore. Busy, with little time for romance, Clare is drawn across the street by Beckett's transformation of the old inn. wanting to take  a closer look... at the building and the man behind it.
With the grand opening inching closer, Beckett's happy to give Clare a private tour-one room at a time. It's no first date, but these stolen moments are the beginning of something new- and open the door to the extraordinary adventure of what comes next.
My rating: 8.5/10
My Comment: I really got addicted to this novel. I felt like I had a real connection to the characters. The book was beautifully written.

Night over water by Ken Follett (58/100)


The new action-filled, romantic adventure from Ken Follett, author of the worldwide bestsellers, The Eye of the needle and The Pillars of the Earth. A night abroad the most luxurious airliner ever built- the Pan Am clipper, bound for New York. A night of drama and suspense, as panic-driven men and women flee to save their fortunes...their families...and their lives...
My Rating: 5/10
My Comment: To be honest, this book wasn't something that I was looking forward to reading. As I've mentioned before, I don't enjoy war novels. The story had some interesting parts and then it also had it's bland moments.

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (59/100)

Jack St. Bride was once a beloved teacher and soccer coach at a girl's private school- until a student's crush sparked a powder keg of accusation and robbed him of his career and reputation. Now, after a devastatingly public ordeal that left him with an eight-month jail sentence and no job, Jack resolves to pick up the pieces of his life. He takes a job washing dishes at Addie Peabody's diner and slowly starts to form a relationship with her in the quiet New England village of Salem Falls. But just when Jack thinks he has outrun his past, a quartet of teenage girls with a secret turn his world upside down once again, triggering a modern-day witch hunt in a town haunted by it's own history.
My Rating: 8.5/10
My Comment: OK, to be honest, I have read this book before YEARS ago but I wanted to read it again because it was the first Jodi Picoult novel that kindled my love and appreciation for her. The book was just as powerful as I remembered it.

No comments:

Post a Comment