Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 1 May 2013

My battle in being an all-rounded student


Before the start of the university year, I envisioned how my “varsity experience” would be. I had made an elaborate list of the student societies I would join, among those being a member of the campus newspaper and the singing ensemble. I had planned to maintain an above average GPA, while having a vibrant social life. My social life would be spent having intellectual debates on politics, religion, and philosophy over glasses of wine, while exploring what our new city-like surroundings had to offer for a small town girl like me. It would rather be like those portrayals of college in those Hollywood movies (minus the binging on excessive amounts of alcohol and maybe a little more PG rated).
I would depart from my usual tendencies of allowing my life to revolve around my academics alone. Throughout my high-school career, I had enough of the complaints from my friends, and yes, even my own very academic parents on how I needed to “take things easy” and chill. Which in a way they were justified in their concerns, considering the amount of sleep I got (or rather did not get).
Sadly, I find myself in the same predicament this year. Not that I spend all my time studying, but let us just say the whole “ balancing act” thing has not been working as planned. Yes, I do try! Yet it seems I still get the “you’re working too hard” remarks from family and friends, the latest being a text I received this morning from my dear aunt:
“I hope you’re having some fun too missy. Life isn’t all about tests and exams”.
However, text was not what first motivated me to write this post. Rather it was my little 12-year old sister’s remarks on my lack of a “life”. While she jokingly remarked on my social awkwardness, she concluded by saying:
“I bet you spend all your time at the library”.
 In other words, she was saying I do not have a life. (Unless you count watching re-runs of Glee during my spare time, with my politics textbook to keep me company.)
I protested trying to prove that my life was more than just books, books, and… more books. Not that I care what she or any I would do anything to not be another statistic of “college dropouts”.
I had been dwelling on how unsatisfied I was with the whole “varsity life”. I was happy with my grades, because I had put so many hours in them, but I really questioned how well rounded I was. I had not joined the campus newspaper, in fear I would not have enough time to immerse myself into my studies. I had not really gone out with my friends, or taken any part in the campus “life” per se.
 It was unlike high school, when I had a little more balance… I had class time, sports time, cultural activities and other duties to keep me busy. This time, I had nothing. It was the same monotonous routine off: get up, go to the library, get back home, and sleep.
That is not good enough. Do not get me wrong, I love my books and my academics always come first! Yet I feel I am closing myself to learning outside the library. A day not being on campus is like death: I have the nagging feeling I should be studying… 

As much as I hate to admit, my sister and all my loved ones do have a point: I need to take it easy and have a more balanced life.
 There is more to life/ varsity than the library.
P.S. I still maintain, the campus library is still one of the coolest places!
Imani Dlamini  


No comments:

Post a Comment